Thursday, October 24, 2013

lessons learned

so here i am.  6.5 weeks away from my second ironman and i dont know if i am ahead of myself or chasing my tail.  i remember after my first ever 70.3  i was so determined that my next one was going to be perfect and i was going to smash my time.  as it turned out i suffered getting the training done with low iron and on the day the weather was crap and the swim a nightmare that set me back over 10 minutes and while i had a great bike to make up the time it didnt pan out like i had planned.  i knew before that day that you have to keep in mind that there are just some things you cannot control. and still, even after that, i keep thinking that my second ironman is going to be so much better blah blah blah. so this is a reminder that anything can happen on the day and  there are no givens.

One of the few nice sunny days.
another assumption that i made was that the training would be easier since i had done it all before.  i think it was foolish of me to think that training for an ironman would ever be easy.  last year the weather was actually very good and i made the mistake of thinking it would be the same every year.  it has sucked this year.  if it wasnt raining then it was foggy, blowing a friggin gale or still raining.  and the most important thing is consistency and you cannot get that when you are having to change sessions around.  i feel like i am only just starting my training when in actual fact it is getting close to the end.  i can feel myself getting fitter but i still have doubts.  i am in the middle of a recovery week before my two biggest weeks start so now is the time to get it right.  
Dead snail from riding in wet weather.

i have learnt more about myself going through this the second time around than the first.  i have discovered if i really am that determined or motivated.  not to mention disciplined.  i need improvement but i think that is what attracts me to this sport.  i am not a naturally gifted triathlete.  i think i am a natural athlete in that most sports that i try i do okay without too much effort but i do not excel at just one thing. perhaps that is why i thought triathlon would suit me.  what i like about ironman is that it generally keeps everyone honest.  if you dont do the training there is nowhere to hide.  gifted people can sometimes rock up and smash a sprint or olympic distance race and maybe even push it at a 70.3.  but ironman will find you out. i have one thing working to my advantage.  this is not my first ironman and i have everything to gain and nothing to lose.  

the weather over the next week looks very good so i am getting excited.  about training and about the race.  i am going to be the most disciplined and organised triathlete.  i am going to get the job done.



No comments: