Sunday, April 17, 2011

camp jeni training lockdown - the final weeks

this post is a record of the last few weeks of training leading up to taper time -  it is the final three weeks until busselton and if you havent done the training then you havent done the training and nothing is going to change that.  i have no idea how i am going to go.  all i know is that i have given myself a really good shot at being able to have fun with it and maybe get a result that will reflect that effort.  in doing the training i have learnt a great deal and that will take up another post.  but in the meantime i will focus on me and what i have to do.  


week 7

i really feel like i have just about broken the back of this thing. i am much stronger on the bike, getting the running done but it is still a fight in the pool.  next week is recovery week which i am sooo looking forward to.  i swam 6.5k but this included an open water group swim session down at cottesloe with paul from swim smooth.  18 months ago i went through the swim video analysis process and my stroke did benefit from it.  i decided i needed to be pushed and challenged and i needed to swim with my peers.  so i am giving up my early saturday swims and swapping it for a bike ride with the local guys (maybe) and a later swim session at claremont pool.    by the way i did spend all morning chasing everyone else.  i rode 201k with my sunday ride at 105k in under 3.5 hours.  i stayed aero 90% of the time and rode at an average speed of 29k.  this is good.  and i felt good as well.  my running was a problem.  i have been struggling with my feet once i get past 15k.  the week before i had a niggle in the side of my calf and my feet turned hot on my long run.  and i am running it too fast still.  i ran 9k tuesday morning and while my legs were tired it was okay.  for my long run i decided to complete it by running around the footy oval two minutes from home.  the guys were training and the lights would be on.  each lap was 600m so i did 28.5 for just over 17k.  i did this at an average pace of 6.08 per km - still too fast.  at about the 8k mark the balls of my feet really started to burn and tighten up.  but i kept at it.  when i got home it was two bags of ice in the bath and more ice for the feet.  to cut a long story short my feet - especially the left and not so much the right continued to play up - even swimming and riding so i canned the saturday run and went to the physio on monday.  in the meantime the self diagnosis via google was giving me nightmares.  turns out that after 15k my calves and feet are fatiguing and kinda collapsing.  this is straining the plantar fascia and tightening everything up.  i had a great foot massage followed by my normal full massage (that girl is evil) and woke feeling pummelled but better.  i now spend my work time rolling my feet over a tennis ball.  i also have $200 less in the bank courtesy of a new pair of brooks and a visit to sports fever.  the asics will still be good for runs under 10k so i will not be wearing the most expensive gardening shoes ever.  and the good news is that i can keep running.  total training time was 12.65 hours which was on track with my training plan courtesy of being ahead on the bike while short on the run.   

week 6

recovery week. 

monday - at physio and massage.
tuesday - with new shoes and a nice and easy 5k run
wednesday - 40k on the bike - good.  nearly got taken out by two kangaroos - bad.  dinner with old friend and staying up past 9.30 pm drinking wine - very bad.  missed my swim too.
thursday - 15k run in new shoes was excellent.  average pace 5.55 per km.  i have given up trying to slow down and so i just go with the flow.  the grass is helping the knees out but i think it is making it harder on my calves and feet.  i have done 90% of my running on hard surfaces and the course is hard so i may just go back to it and see how the knees go.  damn this running is confusing.  went to the doctors this morning and my toe is infected.  i could feel it while running but  i could put up with it.  i am on antibiotics so good time to give up the wine.  i am hoping that nothing more happens. 
friday - bike 30k and no swim - very bad.  still trying to catch up from wednesday and driving around all week to physio, job interview, new shoes, doctor and then leaving my mobile at home and having to drive 30k return trip back for it. 
saturday - my last saturday state swim.  easy 2k threshold.  have my 100m sets down to on 1.40.  the speed is there but it was tiring.  little nap and then off to swim smooth session.  i was a little off the pace but got the work done.  i am a push-over when things get rough but this session is going to be good for me.  home again for another little nap.  quick 8k run that i think i pushed too hard.  last k was on 5 min pace.  it is better running on pavement.  i think i fucked up running on grass.  live and learn.
sunday - see waroona cyclosportif report.  feet burned most of the way so lots of ice and massage when i got home.  total training time 10.5 hours.

week 5

second biggest week.

monday - yay for rest days.  wearing my new masseur sandals to work.  just made an appointment with podiatrist.  gotta fix this problem.  and btw - got a new job.
tuesday - at the physio by 7 am. and alana totally killed my feet and calves.  so much pain but feels much better.   went out to run and knew the long run wasnt going to happen.  my feet and calves were stiff from the morning physio.  another bad decision ?  no i cut it short at 10.5k.
wednesday -  up for my two hour ride and felt like crap for the first lap.  really depressed about my feet.  i could feel them warming up.  leg was a bit stiff but pulled it together for second lap.  work sucked and i started to feel worse through out the afternoon.  decided not to swim but to take some time out and rest the feet.  i think alana may have got carried away.  i think the antibiotics for my toe make me feel like shit.
thursday - so i dont completely fuck up the second biggest training week i have decided to miss a swim this afternoon, take a day out and do some yoga and save the long run for friday morning.  my feet feel like they are recovering from a  huge workout so the extra time will be great.  yesterday was a really bad day. 
friday - okay so we all know what happened last night when i was terrorised by drunken aboriginals. it was horrible and being out running this morning helped clear my brain.  i decided to do my 4k circuit and with each lap see how i go.  i was not going to run on grass at all - not when it probably caused the problem.  so out the door at 5am and first lap in my brooks shoes.  second lap in my asics and you can really feel the softness.  third lap back to brooks and my feet and legs are feeling okay.  fourth lap back to asics and now i can tell the difference.  being a soft shoe it can be deceptive as to whether there is any benefit. while the brooks are not as soft they are better to run in. i was glad to get the brooks back on and around my shorter 2.5k lap for the final stage.  i was running late for work but still took the time to get in the ice bath for 10 minutes.  besides who cares about work !  after work i finally made it to the pool and managed 3k that did focus on upper body rather than the legs.  for the last half hour i was the only one in the pool and once they turned the lights on i no longer felt like i was swimming in a dark cave and it was fun.
saturday - recovered quite well from yesterdays run so headed straight out on the bike.  i decided to get the long bike in so i dont have to ride after tomorrow's triathlon event and in case of rain - which was being forecast.  it was a hard slog for 90k and very windy on the second lap.  home just in time to organise a few things and make a smoothie before out the door and off to the podiatrist.  $374 later i really am no more the wiser.  seems like my  feet are not neutral but do pronate and i need orthotics blah blah blah.  i have a slight case of shin splints and my calves are probably contributing the most to this problem.  also i have weird lumps on both of my feet that have always been there but apparently are not normal.  who knew !  my health fund did contribute $200 so i can still eat for the rest of the week.  the appointment ran over so i missed my swim smooth session.  i stopped by terry tyzack pool and it was a truly beautiful afternoon.  i had a lane all to myself and the water was just perfect for a measured 3k swim.  then i went home and napped before getting my gear organised for tomorrow.
sunday - see the sad hillarys race report.
total training time - 12.25 hours which was short 45 mins but i think the racing effort made up for it.

week 4

peak week - the biggest seven days EVER

monday - rest but a trip to the physio and a visit with tim who stuck needles in my calves and it hurt like hell.  you could feel the muscle twitching.  put ice on it as soon as i got home and the bruising is not too bad.  slept with my compression socks on.
tuesday - calves and feet were feeling pretty good until i went running.  but i did for 8k and it went okay so one less run to do.  had to race off to the shops then organise my gear, eat some food blah blah blah it never ends.
wednesday - up early and out for my two hour ride. came as close as i ever have to being taken out by a car.  arrived at work later than ever and who really cares.  hit the pool at 5 for a 2.5k drills session.  then home for more chasing my tail kinda stuff.  i cant remember what my dogs look like.
thursday - i think i went to work.  luckily podiatrist appointment cancelled as orthotics did not arrive as i did not get out of bed for my long run  so planned to run it at night but right from the beginning nothing felt good.  even the traffic was really pissing me off.  so after 3k i decided to try again in the morning.
friday - up at 4.45am and out running by 5.15am.  in the course of running 5 x 4k laps i decided i wasnt going to work and i would call in an annual leave day.  i wont lie - this 20k hurt the whole way.  much more than last weeks 18.5k.  i still ran it at an average pace of 6.10 min per/km.  too fast but it seems that is my pace.  by the start of the fourth lap i knew that if i did go to work i would be in pain all day trying to sit at that desk.  but it was all cool and once i was done and had stretched it out  i was in the coldest ice bath i have ever taken.  i had left the water in from the previous day so it was cold to start and then i added 2 bags of ice.  if i had balls they would have snapped off.  then i got into bed to warm up but also slept for a few hours.  i felt good when i woke up so i went  to the pool and swam 2.5k before going to the podiatrist to pick up my expensive inserts.  in bed by 8.30pm.
saturday - out by 7am for a 40k ride.  then home to pig out and have a nana nap.  i am also having constant icing sessions with my feet, using the tennis ball to loosen things up, wearing compression gear and constant stretching.  this is working.  my feet are feeling better.  it is hard work.  meant to go to a swim smooth session but i didnt feel right so went to terry tyzack and swam 400 set sessions for 3k.  only two more workouts to do.  home for more food shopping  and sleep.  in bed again by 8.30pm.  wild times.
sunday - it wasnt meant to rain until later in the day.  on the road by 6.30am.  saw my other triathlete training strangers out on the road.  i wonder if they think it is an ugly and boring course.  at the end of the first lap it had started to rain so i stopped at home for my second drink bottle and a change of top.  it continued to rain.  i have never cycled in the rain before.  not happy about getting the bike all messed up.  feeling okay at the 92k mark and the rain had stopped so went for a shorter lap and a total ride of 120k.  i was hungry the whole time and even grabbed a peanut butter sandwich when i had the drink stop.  need to make sure i eat well BEFORE i workout.  only one more thing to do.  i had a nap and watched some tv before mopping the floors and cleaning the bike.  then i ran 10k.  i had been breaking in my orthotics an hour at a time but i needed to start running with them.  so i ran with them for the first 2.5k and they are really heavy and take up ALOT of room.  apparently this is normal.  so i ate more and slept more and here i am.  i am slightly stiff and sore but my feet have survived and i have a massage booked for tonight.  i think that is gonna hurt. 
total training time - 15.51 hours swim 8.1k cycle 220.3k run 41.22k

welcome to taper time !


No comments: